Search tools and other devices for rationalising coding schema in Atlas.ti.
Use 'Query' tools to put together data which are coded by several detailed codes e.g. on a similar topic, or where several codes are beginning to form themselves in your mind into a higher concept or category.
e.g. an 'OR' search which puts together the data attached to several codes: code A OR code B, OR code C, OR etc etc.
To perform a query
- the Query Tool icon ().
- the codes that you want your 'query' to find in the data.
- 'OR operator', floating cursor over each operator icon, tells you what each operator does. Use as many times as required to put between codes. See Figure 1.
- See results listed and interactively connected to full text in context behind –or print/save output.
- Create a 'Super codes' which save that query/search expression and stores them in the Codes list (with red icon) as means of re-running the same search to retrieve up to date collections of data (just as you would when double clicking on a code, in the Code Manager window normally).
Figure 1. Querying codes in Atlas.ti
Making collections of codes
'Families of codes', (collections of codes) which allow you to gather up any code/s into any number of e.g. theoretical or process related categories, large collections (families) or very small will enable very quick retrieval of the data associated with any of these.
- Codes on the main menu and Edit Family:Open Family Manager
- The Code Family Manager window opens, Families:New Family in the windows top menu.
- codes from the right hand list and either or use the Pointer chevron button () to move them into the left hand box.
the Query tool (), on a Code family listed top left query tool. See Figure 1.
In Codes manager window, Filtering to a Code family and asking for Output:All codes with all quatations.