Memos in N6
Authors of this page: Graham R. Gibbs and Celia Taylor
Affiliation: University of Huddersfield
Date written: 30th June 2005
Writing memos is an essential part of developing your analytic understanding of the data and a way of building your theoretical reflections. Nud.ist v. 6 supports the creation and use of memos and these can be linked into the documents and coding in a project in a variety of ways. In N6 they can be linked with nodes and documents. It is not possible to attach a memo to a passage of text but you can insert an annotation. These appear as text in the document when it is browsed and are coded at the node 'Document Annotations'.
To create a memo about a node
- In in the Node Explorer, click the node you want memo, click Memo button.
- Type in memo text and close and save changes.
- The node name is now proceeded with a '!' to indicate it has a memo.
- To read the memo click the node name, click Memo button.
To create an annotation about a passage in a document
- In the Document Explorer, click the document you want to annotate, click Browse button.
- Highlight the line of text you want to annotate, right click it, click Add Annotation .
- Type in your annotation and close and save.
- the annotation appears just after the selected paragraph in double angle '<< >>'.
To create a memo about a document
- In the Document Explorer, click the document you want to memo. click Memo button in the Document Explorer window.
- Type in the memo, close and save.
- The document is now proceeded by '!' to indicate it has a memo
- To read the memo, click the document name, click Memo button.